Pages

Tuesday 18 November 2014

Winter Coat



I am official ready for Winter!  I have made my winter coat.  It was a labour of love.
 I used Simplicity Pattern #1540 .  I made a few modification to the pattern to account for my size and other preferences.  You can tell from the picture that I am freezing by tush off for these pictures.  


Pattern Description: 
Miss Petite jacket in two lengths

Pattern Sizing:
I cut as size 6 for this jacket and used View D

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
YES! It sure did.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Because the pattern pieces were pretty straight forward, I didn't really use the instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I really enjoyed the process of making a winter coat.  I the modification and adjustments were fun to think about.  The various collars all look fun.

Fabric Used:
Wool coating and Kasha Satin for the lining

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
-Shorten torso by 2"
-Shorten sleeves by 1"
-Removed front pockets
-Created my own lining pattern, as the pattern did not call for a lining
-The front piece and the upper back were interfaced with Tailor's choice interfacing
-The side front, side back and lower back was interfaced with a simple sew in interfacing
- I used Kasha Satin cream colour lining

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
ABSOLUTELY!  This pattern was fun to work. There are number of different views and so you can make adjustments to suit your own personal preferences

Conclusion: 
This is a great little project.  Lots of options around the collar style and length. 


Here are a few shots of my coat!





I am so much in love with this coat, I think I might have to make a second one,  Perhaps make a few more adjustments.  I think I might want to add a good...Happy Sewing!

5 comments:

  1. Well you did a marvelous job. I know what a labor of love a coat can be. Love the print you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing Sharon! I'd love to learn to make my own clothes! I have a sewing machine, but have no idea how to follow a pattern! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your coat looks wonderful! Really well made, great pattern and colour and it suits you tremendously well. I am quite jealous, none of my recent projects came out nearly as well as your lovely coat! I need more practice I suppose.
    Really nice coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment