Pages

Thursday 18 December 2014

DIY Dress with Shawl Collar


I have a quick post today! The McCall's #7016 Shawl Collar dress was very easy sew.  This project was so fast.  I really love the look and feel of this fabric. It's funny how many people wanted to feel the fabric.
 Here is my review

Pattern Description:
Shawl Collar pullover dress

Pattern Sizing:
I cut the size medium, based on the finished bust measurements. I completed view C, but added long sleeves

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, it was quite similar. I like the playfulness of the skirt

Were the instructions easy to follow?
It was pretty straight forward to put together as it only had 5 pieces.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
One thing that I didn't like about this dress is the shawl collar gets in the way of the dress fitting around the bust area.  The size of the collar creates a bit of bulk under the dress. In the future I will have to figure out how I can get rid of some of the bulk.

Fabric Used:
I used a knit jacquard fabric. I wanted a leather look, so I used the wrong side of the fabric; leaving the printed on the inside.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I took in about 2" from the hips. I also shortened the torso by 2" to account for my height. I also took of 1" off the length of the skirt because I wanted a shorten dress.  I cut a size small in the sleeve because I wanted it more fitted

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I think I will try and sew this again, once I figure out what to do about the extra "bulk" with the shawl collar. I also might try the view A or B, they are tops.

Conclusion:
It's a good wardrobe builder and because it sew up quickly it can be used if you want a no-brainer project.


Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. Cute dress! Thanks for the tip about the shawl collar being bulky. I'll have to consider that before I try to make this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment