Pages

Monday 8 December 2014

DIY Winter Coat. Butterick #5966



It appears that whenever I make a winter coat, the snow seems to disappear.  I've been enjoying make these fitted garments; experimenting with fabric, interfacing and linings to see what is the best for the coat.  The constructions of my winter coats have been a labour of love.

The Review

Pattern Description: 
MISSES'/WOMEN'S JACKET, COAT AND BELT: Fitted and flared, lined jacket or coat has shoulder pads, princess seams, side pockets, two-piece sleeves, fly button closing, and self belt. A and B: collar. A/B, C, D (Miss) and C/D, DD, DDD (Women) cup sizes.

Pattern Sizing:
I cut size 8. in view A, with the cup A/B

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes.  This pattern looked exactly as the pictures show.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, I would say for the most part.  I was stuck a bit on the instructions of how to sew on the flap that holds the button so that it can hide the buttons.  BUT once I was able to figure that out, the coat came together quite easily.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I really liked the hidden buttons feature.  It is clever and it makes the jacket have a really clean look to the outside

Fabric Used:
I used a wool coating fabric.  I used a bright red Kasha lining for the warmth and various types of interfacing to create a structure fit.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I shorten that torso by about 1.5".  I didn't make the belt because I don't particularly care for a belted coat.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
ABSOLUTELY!  I am already working on a second jacket.  I think that I might try making this with a zipper closure instead.  I also am debating whether to make the collar a bit thicker.

Conclusion:
This coat is fun to create and looks great on. It is fitted through the bodice with a flare at the bottom.





Happy Sewing

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!! I too am a coat hound (www.kopykatkreations.blogspot.com) and love to see others take on the task of outerwear. This is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment